– $595 USD
Are you a parent looking for a way to teach your child literacy skills at home? Are you interested in completing a 30-hour Orton Gillingham training, but not sure if you will fit in with the educators, psychologists, and SLPs in the group? Our online parent cohorts provide a way for parents to complete a 30-hour online Orton Gillingham course, and provide discussion forums in which parents can dialogue with each other, share their experiences, and support each other along the way.
This group is intended for parents of children with dyslexia and other language-based disabilities.
Registration is now open!
Register for this online parent training now – September 10, 2018
Registration will close on September 10, 2018
The next parent cohort will begin on January 15, 2019
The Orton Gillingham Approach is an evidence-based approach, and has been used for many decades to successfully provide literacy remediation to students of all ages.
The Orton Gillingham Approach is primarily used for those who have Dyslexia. These individuals have difficulty primarily in the areas of reading, writing, and spelling. Often these difficulties create a learning gap in other academic areas as well.
This training will run from now until December 21, 2018.
- All participants must be parents of children with dyslexia/SLD, or other language-based disabilities.
- Participants will have assignment deadlines between now and December 21, 2018.
- Assignments can be completed on your own time (there is not a specific time that you must be present in the classroom).
- Participants will have unlimited access to OGOA’s main Basic Language Course upon completion of the group course. Participants can circle back to take a refresher course or access materials anytime in the future.
- Participants can join a private Facebook group to share ideas and pose questions.
- Discussion forums in the classroom allow parents to share their stories, dialogue with each other, share ideas, and support each other.
The Online Training Includes
1.) All necessary materials:
- Prepared lesson plans
- Reading and spelling material
- Benchmark and progress monitoring assessments
- Student workbooks
- Presentations for group instruction
2.) Private virtual classroom
3.) Discussion boards for dialogue with other participants and facilitators
4.) Q & A video conferencing with facilitators upon request
5.) Unlimited access to the virtual classroom – Participants can circle back to take a refresher course anytime, at no additional cost.
6.) Certificate of completion – All course requirements and video observation must be completed and passed for participants to receive this certificate.
*Registration closes on September 10, 2018
Pretest must be completed before September 17, 2018
Scope and Sequence Assignment must be completed before October 12, 2018
Lesson Plan Assignment must be completed before October 26, 2018
Midterm must be completed before November 2, 2018
Final Exam must be completed before November 16, 2018
Final Observation Assignment must be submitted before December 21, 2018
With our online training option, individuals can learn the Orton Gillingham Approach from the comfort of their homes at a time that works best for them.
Free resources only available for parents in this cohort include:
- Dyslexia Screener
- “What to do if dyslexia is suspected” checklist
- Positive Self-statement Cards for improving self-esteem
- 504/IEP Accommodation Recommendations
*Language Tool Kit decks and manuals will be shipped, and all other course materials are embedded in the virtual classroom to download and print.