– $595 USD
Are you a parent looking for a way to teach your child literacy skills at home? Are you interested in completing a 30-hour Orton Gillingham training, but not sure if you will fit in with the educators, psychologists, and SLPs in the group? Our online parent training provides a way for parents to complete a 30-hour online Orton Gillingham course, and provides discussion forums in which parents can dialogue with each other, share their experiences, and support each other along the way.
This group is intended for parents of children with dyslexia and other language-based disabilities.
The Orton Gillingham Approach is an evidence-based approach, and has been used for many decades to successfully provide literacy remediation to students of all ages.
The Orton Gillingham Approach is primarily used for those who have Dyslexia. These individuals have difficulty primarily in the areas of reading, writing, and spelling. Often these difficulties create learning gaps in other academic areas as well.
Beginning January 1, 2019, the following changes have taken place:
- This course will no longer have a timeline or assignment deadlines.
- You can now complete the course on your own time, and you will remain part of the parent course moving forward.
- We will always have open enrollment, so new parents can join all the time! This will open the door for more participation in the discussion forums.
- You can participate in the discussion forums, even after you have completed the coursework.
- If you refer other parents to register for the course, you will be enrolled in the course together, and can support each other as you work through the material.
The Online Training Includes
1.) All necessary materials:
- Prepared lesson plans
- Reading and spelling material
- Benchmark and progress monitoring assessments
- Student workbooks
- Presentations for group instruction
2.) Private virtual classroom
3.) Discussion boards for dialogue with other participants and facilitators
4.) Q & A video conferencing with facilitators upon request
5.) Unlimited access to the virtual classroom – Participants can circle back to take a refresher course anytime, at no additional cost.
6.) Certificate of completion – All course requirements and video observation must be completed and passed for participants to receive this certificate.
With our online training option, individuals can learn the Orton Gillingham Approach from the comfort of their homes at a time that works best for them.
- All participants must be parents of children with dyslexia/SLD, or other language-based disabilities.
- Assignments can be completed on your own time (there is not a specific time that you must be present in the classroom).
- Participants will have unlimited access to the classroom. Participants can circle back to take a refresher course or access materials anytime in the future.
- Participants can join a private Facebook group to share ideas and pose questions.
- Discussion forums in the classroom allow parents to share their stories, dialogue with each other, share ideas, and support each other.
Free resources only available for parents in this group include:
- Dyslexia Screener
- “What to do if dyslexia is suspected” checklist
- Positive Self-statement Cards for improving self-esteem
- 504/IEP Accommodation Recommendations
*Language Tool Kit decks and manuals will be shipped, and all other course materials are embedded in the virtual classroom to download and print.