The Orton Gillingham Online Academy offers certification in Level 1 Basic Language. This Orton Gillingham Level 1 Practicum Extension involves 108 hours of practicum supervised & mentored by an Orton Gillingham specialist.
NOTE: This practicum extension is only available to those who have successfully completed the Basic Language (Level 1) course.
Included in this Course:
- Assigned supervisor/mentor
- Ongoing support
- Detailed lesson planning feedback
- A complete portfolio
- Letter of recommendation
After completion of the Orton Gillingham Practicum Extension requirements, the academy will award participants with a letter of recommendation and Level 1 certification.
An outline of the Level 1 Practicum Extension requirements is as follows:
Following the Level 1 Scope & Sequence (suggested order of presentation of phonemes, rules, & patterns), the practicum student will submit the following required assignments:
- Lesson 1: Video submission of open/closed syllable patterns
- Lesson 2: Video submission of “sh” lesson
- Lesson 3: Video submission of “ay” lesson
- Lesson 4: Video submission of “-ck” lesson
- Lesson 5: Video submission of “ee” lesson
- Lessons 6-9: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 10: Video submission of /all/ lesson
- Lessons 11-13: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 14: Video submission of /-nk/ lesson (-ink, -ank, -onk, -unk)
- Lessons 15-20: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 21: Video submission of silent-e lesson (magic e)
- Lessons 22-32: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 33: Video submission of the stick vowel rule lesson (soft c)
- Lessons 34-49: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 50: Video submission of /oa/ lesson
- Lessons 51-64: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 65: Video submission of /-dge/ lesson (soldier rule #2)
- Lessons 66-69: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 70: Video submission of VC/CCV lesson
- Lessons 71-82: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 83: Video submission of /-sion/ lesson (voiced and unvoiced)
- Lessons 84-91: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 92: Video submission of /augh/ lesson
- Lessons 93-100: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
- Lesson 101: Video submission of /sc/ lesson (stick vowel rule)
- Lessons 102-108: Lesson plan submissions with reflective feedback
Additionally, a portfolio will be submitted to the practicum supervisor upon completion of the practicum requirements. The portfolio provides an opportunity for the Practicum Extension participant to summarize the experience and to reflect on knowledge and insight gleaned during the practicum.
- Is there a time limit or requirement for this course?
No, the practicum extension does not have a time limit or requirement. The lessons can be completed at a time that works best for you and your student.
NOTE: When you begin working with a student, we ask that you submit your lesson plan and detailed assessment of the lesson within 48 hours of the completed lesson. The Practicum Extension is designed in such a way, that your supervisor can provide you with detailed feedback following each lesson. This gives you the opportunity to continuously improve as you move through the suggested order. If you submit several lessons to your supervisor at one time, then it does not allow for improvement between lessons.
- Is there a start date for the Practicum Extension?
Start dates are dependent upon supervisor availability. Once you sign up for the practicum extension course in Moodle, there may be a two-week to one-month waiting period. This waiting period depends on the supervisor’s availability, and the number of current practicum students.
- When I complete the course, will I receive a certificate of completion? If so, what will the certificate say?
Yes, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that will state that you have completed a 108-Hour Orton Gillingham Practicum. You will also receive a letter of recommendation from your supervisor.
- Will I be considered a “Certified” Orton Gillingham Practitioner after completing the Level 1 Practicum Extension?
Yes. Upon completion of the Level 1 Practicum Extension, you will be a Certified Orton Gillingham Practitioner.
- Do I have to create a different username and password for Moodle, or can I use the same one that I created when taking the Level 1 Basic Language Course?
You can use the same login information to enroll in any of the courses at Orton Gillingham Online Academy (including webinars and other additional resources). Once you create the username and password for Moodle, you can use that login information for any courses that you purchase. All of your purchased courses will then appear under the “My Courses” link on the left hand side of the page.
- What happens if I forget my username and password?
If you forget your login information, you can follow the link that states “Forgotten your username or password?” This link will take you to a page in which you can type your username or email address. Once your account is located, you can then reset your password.