Connect to Comprehension is a comprehensive, scripted intervention reading program for struggling readers of all ages. It is effective for small group intervention as well as for one-on-one tutoring.
“The Connect to Comprehension Course was extremely informative and valuable to me. I have been incorporating the program with all the students that I tutor. I want to thank you again for providing this online course.” -Angela (Teacher)
“As a district administrator who oversees MTSS, having Lynn Givens’ expertise and support has been an absolute blessing . She is quick to respond, eager to provide meaningful professional learning opportunities, and consistently helps us improve our instructional approaches in effort to help struggling readers develop the skills and strategies necessary for becoming proficient readers.” – FL School Administrator
This is our second year using the Connect to Comprehension Program. We have around 40 students working in the C2C program. Our primary teachers, myself, and our instructional paraprofessionals lead small groups with C2C throughout the day. We love the program! Our students are actively engaged with each lesson we teach. The program is user friendly and the students are making good progress. This school year, we purchased journals for each of our students participating in C2C. We realize that the writing tasks embedded within each C2C lesson are critical for reinforcing learned skills. We have observed a marked improvement with students’ comprehension and sentence structure in just a very short time. Having worked for many other school districts throughout my career, it is truly a blessing to have the support (and materials needed) to reach each student here in Bay County! -Kelly (ESE Teacher)
Connect to Comprehension provides teachers and tutors with a practical method of integrating decoding activities and higher-level comprehension skills into daily lessons for struggling readers. CtoC is designed to enable a teacher to quickly assess a learner’s strengths and weaknesses and immediately plan instruction at the appropriate level with resources on hand. This powerful and effective program offers a leveled curriculum, hands-on activities, and a wealth of instructional and assessment resources. -Dr. Adrienne Barnes, Literacy and Pedagogy Specialist, Florida State University
Included in this Course:
- The components of reading
- All components of a successful Connect to Comprehension lesson
- Teaching resources
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Unlimited access to course content
After completion of the Connect to Comprehension comprehensive course requirements, the academy will award participants with a certificate of completion.
The course material is arranged in ten sessions, which begin by introducing the five components of reading and an introduction to the basic structure of the Connect to Comprehension program. Later sessions combine information about the components of fluency and vocabulary, which are both integral to the building of comprehension in all readers. The main comprehension session of the course breaks this elusive component into 8 specific elements, providing in-depth information in each of these. The course concludes with a discussion of written expression and provides ways to incorporate writing into all instruction and practice, a critical strategy for struggling readers. From the beginning of the course, an understanding of the ways in which struggling readers may have trouble in each of the components of reading is discussed, and strategies and techniques are provided to help remediate these difficulties. This information is essential for all teachers of reading.This program was developed to provide students who struggle with decoding access to upper-level comprehension instruction. Struggling readers typically don’t get practice in these comprehension skills either because the reading materials are too difficult to decode or the lower-level texts they can read are not engaging and motivating. As a result, when struggling readers begin to become more fluent, they then must conquer their gaps in comprehension, especially upper-level skills such as making inferences, determining cause and effect, comparing and contrasting. In Connect to Comprehension, these upper-levels skills are explicitly taught, scaffolded, and practiced while students are learning and practicing basic decoding/structural analysis skills.
The Connect to Comprehension program provides students with opportunities to:
- increase decoding skillsthrough learning and practicing phonetic/structural analysis patterns
- increase oral reading fluencythrough reading highly decodable text
- read and respond to high-interestchapter books
- increase upper-level comprehension skillsthrough explicit instruction and practice
- increase vocabulary knowledgethrough daily practice and reinforcement
- increase skills in written expressionthrough daily practice and reinforcement
The Connect to Comprehension program provides teachers with:
- scripted lessonsfocused on upper-level comprehension skills
- leveled questionsand scaffolded instruction to increase reading comprehension
- a variety of methods, techniques and activities to teach and reinforce phonetic/structural analysis skills
- methods, techniques and activities to teach targeted vocabulary words, including those with multiple meanings
- daily writing activitiesthat reinforce decoding skills and comprehension strategies
- writing frames to help those students with limited language abilities practice appropriate sentence structure
An outline of the sessions included in the Connect to Comprehension course are as follows:
- Introduction & Welcome
- Session # 1: The Five Components of Reading
- Session # 2: Introduction to the Connect to Comprehension Reading Program
- Session # 3: Assessing a Struggling Reader
- Session # 4: Using the Connect to Comprehension Practice Decks
- Session # 5: Planning and Implementing a Connect to Comprehension Lesson
- Session # 6: Fluency
- Session # 7: Vocabulary
- Session # 8: Comprehension
- Session # 9: Written Expression
- Session #10: Putting It All Together
The course comes with all necessary materials in PDF & video format.
Course materials shipped to your home:
- The complete Connect to Comprehension kit, including 6 scripted teacher manuals that provide instruction and practice activities in all reading components.
- The kit also contains a manual for pre and post assessments and ongoing progress monitoring and general implementation information.
- A set of fluency and sequencing strips are also included in the Connect to Comprehension kit (a $250 value).
- A set of 36 High Noon Sound-out Chapter books (a $143 value)
Course materials in PDF format:
- Participant’s Manual
- Assessment Samples
- Teacher Resources
- Is there a time limit or requirement for this course?
No, the online course does not have a time limit or requirement. The courses are self-paced and can be completed at a time that works best for you.
There are no “start dates,” as you can sign up and begin at any time. You can complete the course requirements on your own time, and submit them at a pace that works for you.
After purchasing the course, you will have unlimited access to the course content, and will be able to circle back to retake the course anytime.
*NOTE: Having said this, I would allot 30-40 hours to complete the course.
- Will I need to buy additional books for this course?
No, the course is all-inclusive and comes with all necessary materials to deliver successful Connect to Comprehension lessons.
- Why is Connect to Comprehension a scripted program?
A scripted program increases fidelity of instruction. The Connect to Comprehension program provides teachers with specific language and techniques that are explicit and cognitively supportive. The script incorporates direct teaching and modeling, along with opportunities for guided practice and then independent practice.
- How can the Connect to Comprehension program be used for small group intervention?
The program is excellent for small group intervention. Students are assessed and then placed in small groups according to their skill needs. Instruction can then be tailored to meet these needs.
- How can the Connect to Comprehension program be used for differentiated instruction, for students with varying needs?
While the program is scripted, teachers can tailor the instruction to meet specific students’ needs. For a student(s) with adequate decoding skills, the emphasis on instruction would be on the fluency and comprehension/vocabulary components. For a student(s) needing extensive instruction/practice with decoding, the extra phonics practice activities would be used. For students who are struggling with vocabulary and sentence structure, emphasis would be on the vocabulary exercises/vocabulary deck and the sentence frames for written expression.
- When I complete the course, will I receive a certificate of completion? If so, what will the certificate say?
Yes, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that will state that you have completed a 30-Hour Connect to Comprehension Course. You may work with students using the knowledge that you have gleaned from the course.
- Do you offer CEUs for your courses?
We are not aligned with a university to provide CEUs or college credits. We contemplated aligning ourselves with a university in the Midwest; however, our enrollment fees would have increased considerably. It is our mission to continue to offer affordable resources for parents, teachers, & school districts.
- Why do I have to create a username and password for Moodle before I can enroll?
The login information that you create in Moodle is intended to protect your personal information, and give you access to information about our coursework. When you create a username and password, you are not obligated to purchase anything, but you can view the courses, webinars, and other resources that we offer on our online course platform.
- What happens if I forget my username and password?
If you forget your login information, you can follow the link that states “Forgotten your username or password?” This link will take you to a page in which you can type your username or email address. Once your account is located, you can then reset your password.