22
Feb 18

Dyslexia Screening Part 4

admin

  This is the fourth in a series of blogs I am writing on dyslexia screening. You can find the first two here and here, for an overview of this topic, and the third dives into universal screening.      The universal screener is a quick and easy test to run on every student. When […]

Read More
19
Feb 18

What is Ear Reading and How Can it Help Someone with Dyslexia?

admin

What is ear reading?       According to the International Dyslexia Association, ear reading is defined as reading using audiobooks or similar text-to-speech software. Instead of the written word taken soley through the eyes, the verbal words are processed through the ears and eyes simultaneously and then processed in the brain.   What is eye […]

Read More
18
Feb 18

Three Reasons Why Multisensory Learning is Food for the Brain

admin

Multisensory learning (MSL) helps an individual learn by using more than one sense. For children with dyslexia, the use of the visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile modalities can be very helpful. A major component of the Orton Gillingham Approach is that it must be multisensory. This approach aligns perfectly with how our brains learn.   […]

Read More
16
Feb 18

Universal Dyslexia Screening In Depth Part 3

admin

This is the third in series of blogs I am writing on dyslexia screening. You can view the first two here and here. We know that about 80% of the school population is able to learn successfully from general education instruction, which leaves 20% for whom regular public or private school is not working. Universal […]

Read More
15
Feb 18

Interactive Read-alouds Part 2

admin

In a previous blog, we discussed the benefits of interactive read-alouds for older students and especially for struggling readers. Now, let’s look at specific steps for planning and implementing this type of read-aloud. I’ve also included a sample of a read-aloud that I’ve used with a group of third-grade students.       Steps for […]

Read More
14
Feb 18

Preventing Learned Helplessness in Students with Dyslexia

admin

By the time I was twelve, I believed that no matter how hard I tried in math I would fail. My grade 6 teacher was the catalyst to this negative, fixed mindset. She had tried to help me three times to understand fractions and in failing to do so she asked, “Why are you so […]

Read More
Page 1 of 1812345...10...Last »