Our Orton Gillingham Comprehensive course work is based on Orton Gillingham principles. This Basic Language Course (Level 1) is all-inclusive and will send you on your way to teach foundational literacy skills using this amazing, research-based approach.
Included in this Course:
- Overview of Dyslexia and the Orton Gillingham Approach
- All components of a successful Orton Gillingham lesson
- Initial and benchmark assessments
- Teaching resources
- Demonstration videos
- Unlimited access to course content
After completion of the Orton Gillingham comprehensive course requirements, the academy will award participants with a certificate of completion.
An outline of the modules included in the Basic Language Level 1 course are as follows:
- Introduction & Welcome
- Module # 1: Basic Language Pretest
- Module # 2: Introduction to Dyslexia
- Module # 3: Overview of the Orton Gillingham Approach
- Module # 4: Overview of the Orton Gillingham Lesson Plan
- Module # 5: Initial Assessments & Lesson Plans
- Module # 6: Orton Gillingham Visual Drill
- Module # 7: Orton Gillingham Auditory Drill
- Module # 8: Orton Gillingham Blending Drill
- Module # 9: Introduction of a New Phonogram
- Module #10: Orton Gillingham Spelling
- Module # 11: Orton Gillingham Reading
- Module # 12: Non-phonetic Sight Words (Red Words)
- Module # 13: Basic Language Midterm
- Module # 14: Syllabication
- Module # 15: Handwriting
- Module # 16: Multisensory Grammar
- Module # 17: Spelling Patterns & Rules
- Module # 18: Complete Lesson Demonstration
- Module # 19: Final Exam
- Module # 20: Video Observation Assignment
The course comes with all necessary materials in PDF & video format.
Course materials shipped to your home:
- Language Tool Kit (phonogram deck & manual – shipped to your home or school)
Course materials in PDF format:
- Teacher’s Manual
- Informal Coding Assessment
- Complete Lesson Plan Package/Practitioner’s Notebook (word lists, passages, comprehension questions, & sentences for dictation)
- Visual Aids
- Is there a time limit or requirement for this course?
No, the online course does not have a time limit or requirement. The courses are self-paced and can be completed at a time that works best for you.
There are no “start dates,” as you can sign up and begin at any time. You can complete the course requirements on your own time, and submit them at a pace that works for you.
After purchasing the course, you will have unlimited access to the course content, and will be able to circle back to retake the course anytime.
*NOTE: Having said this, I would allot 30-40 hours to complete the course.
- Will I need to buy additional books for this course?
No, the course is all-inclusive and comes with all necessary materials to deliver successful Orton Gillingham lessons. The Teacher’s Manual, Practitioner’s Notebook, Student Workbooks, and Informal Coding Assessment are available in PDF format to be downloaded (and printed if desired).
- What if I do not want to print my own materials? What if I would like bound books shipped to me?
We do offer hard copies of the course materials (Teacher’s Manual, Practitioner’s Notebook, Student Workbooks, and Informal Coding Assessment) for an additional $100. If you would like hard copies of the course materials shipped to your home, you can send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your address form after you have enrolled in the course.
- When I complete the course, will I receive a certificate of completion? If so, what will the certificate say?
Yes, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that will state that you have completed a 30-Hour Basic Language (Level 1) Orton Gillingham Course. You may work with students using the knowledge that you have gleaned from the course.
- Will I be considered a “Certified” Orton Gillingham Practitioner after completing the Level 1 Basic Language Course?
To gain the title of a “Certified” Orton Gillingham Practitioner, you would need to complete the practicum extension (in which you will have the opportunity to work with a supervisor and build a portfolio). You would also receive a letter of recommendation from your supervisor upon completion of the practicum extension hours. The Level 1 Basic Language Course is a prerequisite to the Practicum Extension.
- Do you offer CEUs for your courses?
We are not aligned with a university to provide CEUs or college credits. We contemplated aligning ourselves with a university in the Midwest; however, our enrollment fees would have increased considerably. It is our mission to continue to offer affordable resources for parents, teachers, & school districts.
- I teach in a classroom. Is there whole group application for this course?
Yes, the course includes whole group instruction application and demonstration videos.
- Why do I have to create a username and password for Moodle before I can enroll?
The login information that you create in Moodle is intended to protect your personal information, and give you access to information about our coursework. When you create a username and password, you are not obligated to purchase anything, but you can view the courses, webinars, and other resources that we offer on our online course platform.
- What happens if I forget my username and password?
If you forget your login information, you can follow the link that states “Forgotten your username or password?” This link will take you to a page in which you can type your username or email address. Once your account is located, you can then reset your password.