Multisensory is one of the essential elements of the Orton Gillingham Approach. When incorporating the multisensory element in an Orton Gillingham lesson, it is important to include all of the neuro learning modalities. We learn via the visual, auditory, & kinesthetic/tactile pathways in the brain.
In this blog post, we will be focusing on the kinesthetic/tactile pathway. Since it is November and we are enjoying the crisp fall air and looking forward to Thanksgiving, I thought it would be very appropriate to share with you a wonderful Organic Pumpkin Spice Playdough recipe.
It is important that the Orton Gillingham lessons are engaging for the students. This non-toxic Organic Pumpkin Spice Playdough is the perfect hands-on tool that every student will enjoy. It can be used during the review time to concentrate on areas of difficulty, and during the time something new is introduced to the students.
The student can mold and shape the letter(s) while saying the sound(s) aloud.
The students can also trace words on the playdough for a tactile learning experience.
I hope you enjoy experimenting with this playdough recipe and at the same time provide a fun learning environment for your students.
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp virgin organic coconut oil
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp organic pumpkin pie spice
- Natural food coloring (a mixture of red and yellow to desired color)
- Put ingredients into a saucepan and stir until combined and lump-free.
- Cook over medium heat and stir continuously until it forms one clump.
- Remove from heat and place on floured surface. Knead until forms a soft dough. It can be used immediately.
- NOTE: Do not overcook this dough & be sure to stir continuously. As soon as mixture forms a clump, remove from heat
- Place in an airtight container.